Let's get it on with your TOP 3 things for May!
1. Early RSVPs open for our next event on May 25th (official announcement next week). RSVP Now. We are joining the JaxTech crew at "Main Event" to explore how two local companies are leveraging gamification to make their business awesome. Also...if you haven't been to Main Event yet, holy cow...go.
2. May 12th, Anthony Catanese is moving to Denver. Yep :(**It's weird to address myself in the 3rd person**
But it's true...May 12th is my last day in Jax and I'll be stepping down as leader of #StartupJax, but this group will be stronger than ever with 2 new organizers joining Philip O'Donnell to run this thing. I couldn't be more excited to announce that Selina Pagan and Stu Green have accepted leadership roles in #StartupJax! Welcome homies :)
- Selina and I have known each other for some time. She grew up in Jax, and moved to the west coast for 17 years. She's back and is ready to keep the fire alive here.
- Stu moved here from London right when OneSpark and downtown was buzzing with activity. He met a lot of us at Cowork and has been building startups in the San Marco area the last few years. You may have met him at the last meetup, since he was one of our panelist.
- Read more about the leadership crew: www.startupjax.co/who-we-are.html - reach out to them via the links to their Twitter or LinkedIn and say Hi :)
- If you want to grab a beer with Anthony before he leaves - May 12th: 4pm - who knows @ Dos Gatos in downtown Jax (123 E Forsyth St, Jacksonville, FL 32202) My wife and I are hanging out for happy hour. We've literally invited everyone we know to join us...that includes you...come grab a beer. You're the reason I started this group.
3. Another HUGE announcement - Community First Credit Union has agreed to be the official #StartupJax sponsor for the YEAR. That's awesome and makes it amazing for putting together programs over the next 12 months. Community First has always come through in supporting local entrepreneurs, and this takes it to another level. Thank you thank you thank you Community First. Without them, I'm not sure we would be around, and some our biggest events never would have happened.
May is going to be nuts!
=======Now Sappy Anthony Speech=======
Back in 2013 there was a group of 25 people that met one random evening in downtown Jax. We had no clear goal other than be around great people. Now there is over 1,200 of us and we're about to hit year 4...WOW... that blows me away.
A lot of people asked me "What was your vision" for the group...and I can honestly say there wasn't one other than "be around entrepreneurs"...but there were principles. 1) Be Kind 2) Connect everyone we can 3) Give everyone a voice. When someone would reach out and ask to speak, I always thought...does their story inspire, were they giving, and did it match our principles. We've now had over 80 speakers and 34 events all across Jacksonville. And couldn't be more proud, not of what Philip and I have been running, but what you guys did with what we created.
Philip...you rock. Thank you for all your support and connecting some many people here. I truly couldn't appreciate you more as a co-organizer and as a friend. Selina, Stu and you are great people and can't wait to see what you guys do!
Thank you all for taking the time help each other and #StartupJax.